Our 9 Day Itinerary
Our five day and nine day itineraries can be adapted to your needs – contact us for details
Our five and nine day itineraries can be adapted to your needs – contact us for details.
9 Day Itinerary - The Azores Explorer
Day One – Arrival
- Take your flight to Ponta Delgada, the largest town on San Miguel
- Check in to your accommodation and enjoy an orientation walk around the town
Day Two – Furnas Valley
- Wander around the stunning Botanical Gardens and take a dip in the naturally heated thermal pools
- Enjoy a traditional ‘Cozido das Furnas’ lunch, cooked underground by the Earth’s natural heat
- Visit Europe’s only tea plantation before heading back to your hotel
Day Three – Sete Cidades Lake
- Coach trip to visit the iconic Sete Cidades crater lake with a local guide
- Enjoy the spectacular views from several viewpoints en route
- Learn about the formation of the lake from your local guide
- Optional kayaking on lake
- Stop off at the unique Ponta Farraria, naturally heated ocean pools.
Day Four – Surfing and Geothermal Tour
- Tour Caldeira Velha and visit the fascinating interpretation centre
- Visit and tour a geotherma power station, learning how the Azores has become one of the world’s leading destinations in harnessing geothermal energy
- Spend the afternoon / morning (depending on the tides) at Santa Barbara Beach for a surfing lesson with local professionals.
Day Five – Pico Island
- Take the short early morning flight to Pico Island
- Visit the old whaling town of Lajes do Pico and enjoy a guided tour of the whaling museum
- Take an afternoon whale watching tour to spot some of the 27 species of whales and dolphins that can be seen in Azorean waters
Day Six – Adventure Day
- Choose between a day hike to Mount Pico or a canyoning adventure
Day Seven – Faial Island
- Take the eary morning ferry to Horta for a day trip to Faial Island
- Visit Caldeira, a spectacular volcanic crater you can walk around
- Visit Capelinhos, the site of the Island’s most recent volcanic eruption (1958). Take a guided tour around the Interpretation Centre and climb the lighthouse for spectacular views of the peninsula.
- PM ferry back to Pico.
Day Eight – Terceira
- Take the early morning flight to Terceira Island and the historic capital of the Azores, the town of Angra do Heroismo
- Descend into the extinct volcano at Algar do Carvao
- Explore the underground lava tunnels at Grutas do Natal
Day Nine – Homeward Bound
- Drive to Terceira Airport for your return flight